Sunday, January 14, 2007

Tournament 3 & 4 Notes

For this deck I used the Tide of Blossoms original, and slightly modified. I point to the link because I also have notes in there as well.

Tournament 3 (1/12/2006)

Even though this was just on Friday, I sadly don't remember much of anything at the moment.

Wins: 3
Losses: 2
Draws: 0

Notes that I do remember:
- Mission-less metagame.
- Based on jutsu-pump and removal
- Opponents had a lot of chakra
- I had not enough negation

And, I'll quote what I posted at another website.

After playing for the first time with your original build, I realized a few things about how I play, and how people played around me.

First, I hardly ever had a small hand count due to Sakura's Decision and conservative play. Then, in the middle game, I realized that I attack less and wait for a few more turns before mounting further attacks. I think you intended to wait a while doing some blocking to draw into tide, then use The Third, or Baki and make a big sweep late game.

Lots of pump jutsus and some jutsu negation were used, but like I mentioned before, hardly any missions were played so on the first day I found that Lone Avenger was a dead card.

Also, one of the other people I play with is my buddy David (yeah, both have the same first name, pour tournament organizer gets us confused all the time XD). He runs a mental hybrid and I didn't feel too confident with the original build to defend against him. Against most people, I did well and understood it better after playing different types of decks. The first day also showed me that I let people get away with too many jutsus. I felt that the best way to attack this was to use Exhaustion and Sharingan Eye as well as Wind Scythe.


So, the changes I made were the inclusion of
- Suzume [Kunoichi Education]
- Exhaustion of Stamina
- Shikamaru Nara [Smarty Pants]

From here on, I will dub it "Exhaustive Tide". That's the best name I can come up with, not as cool as the original name.

Tournament 4 (1/13/2006)

This TournamentI remember better. I forgot to take notes on my notepad yet again. Oh well, eventually I will remember.

Match 1: a Bye, which made me cry and I'll get to that in a bit.

Match 2: Exhaustive Tide vs. Mono-water-esque

My earlier assumptions were correct. I had not played against this player before, but I felt confident with what I had and was eager to test it out. The main note I have is that I recognized Mono-water and recall what the cards are and how much chakra is needed for them and capitalized with Exhaustion and mounted a large counter offensive. This sealed the match in my favor.

Match 2: Exhaustive Tide vs. Wind/Splash?

There are a few hands this deck has that are just amazing. The hand with Sasuke and Temari are just too good. And with that I was able to set the pace for the rest of the match. A later use of Tide and then a Baki cinched the match in my favor as well.

Match 3: Exhaustive Tide vs. Lightning-Naruto+Harem+Sexy Jutsus

I had lost before to this deck. It was the reason why I made sure to include negation this time around. Also, this opponent also had a large abundance of chakra when he plays which led me to use Exhaustion. This paid off as well. At a key point, I used Exhaustion and was able to mount a large offensive and take the match.

So, at this point, I have not lost. However, I have 3 wins and one Bye, this is lower than the 2 players with 4 wins no loss. This made me default to third place it seems. On a positive note, David won his third Academy Level Tournament and this has led to his first Genin pin. He uses a Mental Hybrid that usually wins everything he comes up against and I always fall second place. Congrats to David though!

The other important things to note for this Tournament are as follows.

How did this fair for me? Very well actually. Today, I ran into a different variety of decks. This build helped me stop a Mono-Water deck, a Sand/Wind based deck, and a Naruto/Harem/Sexy deck. The earlier notes I made before hand about how people play helped me a lot to better make changes. I was pretty happy with stopping mono-water. I think after seeing the second place finisher for GenCon SoCal, I was very nervous in that match up. However, I later found they didn't run it exactly like it or as close to it.

Finally, Suzume was useful for me to keep people from making attacks. They weren't too happy with a mental defense with her, especially when stacking in Shikamaru, or Sakura, or Hisame, heck, even Kabuto or Hayate! I found that the goal would be to grow her to her 3 support if the situation happens and then I swap her in with the group that has the attacking Baki. At best, higher attacking ninja's don't even have 1 mental except for the Super Rare Third Hokage and Fourth Hokage (I think?). However, none of those scenarios occurred. Mainly, Suzume and Sakura were good enough to stop/prevent most to all attacks, which is what I wanted. Shikamaru was put in just in case I ran into a mental attacking deck and didn't feel comfortable or safe with just Suzume + Sakura + Hisame.


The post where the quotes come from are here. Hosted by Narucards

Wins: 3
Losses: 0
Draws: 0

Total Wins: 11
Total Losses: 5
Total Draws: 0

No comments: